News & Updates
10 Reasons to Attend Heritage DayTuesday, June 12, 2018
ARMOUR – Sports have been bringing people together for centuries and this July, the historical society in Burk’s Falls will host a full day of athletic heritage in Armour. Sports organizations in the region are invited to join the township to remember athletics of the ages in Almaguin.
The celebration will take place on July 14 at the Watt Century Farmhouse Heritage Centre from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and it’s going to have something fun for the whole family.
Here are 10 reasons why you should definitely check it out:
1. It’s free! The day’s events will include free face painting, popcorn, and it’s no cost to get in. Hotdogs and drinks will also be up for grabs, courtesy of Armour Township.
2. There is going to be a firefighter challenge. Yes, firefighters battling firefighters – in firefighting. Teams of firefighters will converge on the field at noon to test their skill, strength, agility and stamina. This event offers an opportunity for the public to interact with fire crews and witness the demands of being a firefighter.
3. The Royal Canadiana, a record-setting vintage hydroplane will be there.
4. You can learn all about Ontario’s history in sports with an exhibit made up from provincial archives.
5. There will be fishing and trapping displays.
6. There’s going to be a barbecue (bring a few toonies if you want to splurge for a burger or a sausage instead of taking advantage of the free hotdogs).
7. MMA Champion Kyle “The Monster” Nelson will be in attendance.
8. The world-class Dingman snowmobile racing team will also be on hand for a meet and greet.
9. The Burk’s Falls Skating Club will be having a bake sale.
10. There’s going to be an inflatable obstacle course, soccer darts, bouncy castle and games. The historical society is still looking for more local sporting organizations to take part in the festivities, so if you are interested in joining, or have any general questions, send them to email@example.com.
by Danielle Marr Danielle Marr is a reporter with the Almaguin News. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org